Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Quickly changing seasons

Okay, very belatedly, is another post.

It's mostly been the same old, same old, but I think we're just running out of the last of our warm weather, and the leaves are starting to change on the mountains.

I went to a two-day mid-year seminar earlier this week. I wasn't happy about messing up my class schedule, but at least I got to learn some new ideas on how to teach phonics! (That wasn't intended to be sarcastic.)

I did make it out to Nagoya during October to re-visit some old friends. It was nice to see people I knew and revisit a couple of old places. Definitely made me long to be back in semi-suburban Nagoya, though. Unfortunately, I didn't snap any good pictures.

I also made a second trip to Gotemba, hometown of a former yosakoi teammate, to do some shopping at the massive outlet stores there. I got some awesome photos of Mt. Fuji (my first time to see more than just the base) -- or so I thought. Actually, they all came out like this:


I think I want to invest in a new camera.

But speaking of yosakoi, a Japanese English teacher at my school took me to see a local team practice. They're mid-dance, but they said they'll start a new one in January, so I might join then (and the JTE is thinking of joining, too).

BTW, much earlier in the year (August or September), I caught a tiny snippet of the Harajuku yosakoi festival in Tokyo (I was there just to shop and happened upon it). I was on the wrong side of the street for good photos, but here are a few grainy shots from my phone:



And now, because I can't think of anything very interesting to say, are a few captioned photos (I'll try to think of better content and update again).

Proof of how close my apartment is to the train tracks (how's that for good photo timing?).


What appears to be the most famous building in Ito, across the river. I've been inside, but I'm not entirely sure what it is.


A sculpture that's on our school grounds.


A bunch of loot given to me by a local temple after a vice principal took me there.


The beach at Usami.

3 comments:

Rachel said...

Is your apartment on the near or far side from the tracks? And are fancy Japanese trains as loud as American ones?

Also, "temple loot" just sounds wrong. But looks so right!

Seiji said...

The famous building you didn't know is "Tokaikan" (kanji: east-sea-mansion). It's a traditional, wooden-architecture 3-story inn that now houses some of the Onsen History of the town. Although there are no more inn services, you can still enjoy the cafe and spa.:

"The city's landmark is "Tokaikan," a historical and cultural asset in Ito.

Tokaikan is a beautiful Japanese inn built in 1928. When the opening of the Ito railroad line came into service in 1938, new traffic brought many people to the town. At Tokaikan annex after annex had been extended to the original building to host more and more people who come to its spa. After the years of rebuilding with modern techniques, Tokaikan was closed in 1997. In 2001, Tokaikan was reborn as a new tourist attraction. The buildings are boasting superior wood craftsmanship by master-hands that was crafted decades ago is spectacular. Those materials were the finest at that time. Looking at the corridor, stairs and guest rooms entrance -- you'll find master-crafted artwork at almost every turn in Tokaikan."
link here

"Ito is the second largest spa city in Izu, after Atami. Facing the Pacific Ocean, 61 Japanese and Western style hotels are located from beach to the mountains. Visitors can enjoy a splendid view of the Pacific Ocean from the vantage of a seafront spa. Traditional spas along the Matsu River create a fine, steamy hot spring town ambiance. Many small hotels and a variety of art museums such as Ikeda Museum of 20th Century Art and others can be enjoyed in the Izu highlands."
link here

Yes! Go to the Ikeda Museum! (^_-)v You are lucky to live in an Onsen Town! I'm jealous!!!!

A B Campbell said...

Are you allowed to climb up in that big hand?
More importantly, would I be allowed to climb up in that big hand?
Do the students dress like Sailor Scouts?